Friday, November 25, 2011

Dearest Pumpkin

        Fall is my #1 favorite season. I love everything about it -- the gorgeous colors, the little trick-or-treaters showing up at my door on Halloween, the distinctive tastes and smells of spices like cinnamon and nutmeg… and pumpkin. Dearest pumpkin.
        I have made new best buddies this year: pumpkins and scones. I was very eager to hop on the bandwagon and eat 'em as one. Pumpkin Scones... my weakness. 
Pumpkin Scones
        It's all your fault, Starbucks. You sold me that pumpkin scone and now I can't stop thinking about it. You left me no choice but to make a batch for home, and dare I say it? I like the homemade version even better.
        Here's the great thing about baking your own treats: you can control exactly how much sugar is poured into that mixing bowl, and exactly how much glaze is drizzled on the top of the finished product. You can choose how sweet it is. I love the flavor of Starbucks pumpkin scones, but they are sweet, sweet, sweet. These babies are sweet, too, but not overly sweet -- they're just right.
        These aren't your traditional scone, and neither are the nutella scones I shared with you in September. These pumpkin scones are reminiscent of Fall, slightly cakier, drizzled with two sweet glazes, and oh-so-good. If you wanted to cut back on time you could make just the first glaze, however the second, spiced version was a nice touch.
        These are a new personal favorite, as in... I want more, on my table, in my hand, in my tummy ASAP. 



Pumpkin Scones
(adapted from Food)
Yield: 6 or 8 servings | 6 or 8 scones
Print This Recipe


Ingredients
For the Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup canned puréed pumpkin
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 large egg


For the Simple Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk


For the Spiced Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ginger
1 small pinch ground cloves


Directions
To Make the Scones:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter or food processor, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and the pieces of butter are about the size of peas. Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, heavy cream, and egg. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Form dough into a ball.
  4. On a lightly floured surface, pat out dough into a disk around 1 3/4 inches high. Don't overwork dough. 
  5. Cut dough into 6 or 8 wedges and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Place on wire rack to cool. In the meantime, prepare the simple glaze.
For the Simple Glaze:
  1. Mix the confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons milk together until smooth.
  2. When scones are cool, use a brush to paint the glaze over the top of each scone. Use as much as little as desired.
For the Spiced Glaze:
  1. As white glaze sets, combine ingredients for the spiced glaze. Use a spoon or whisk to drizzle this thicker glaze over each scone. Allow glaze to dry before serving, at least one hour.
Related Stories Widget by LinkWithin

17 comments:

  1. This is the perfect excuse to get rid of all the pumpkin puree in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is making me drool! Unfortunately pumpkin purée is not available easily here...May be I need to try my hands on making it at home. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious, perfect fall treat. And beautiful photos! 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are lovely! They look so good! I'm going to try them!
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm these look mouth-watering! I mean, anything pumpkin is delicious, and then with that glaze dripping down the sides? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness these look sooo delicious! Wow! Love the icing, what a lovely added touch. Absolutely gorgeous, love it! =] 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look wonderful! I don't even really like scones (too dry for me), but they always look so very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dam Starbucks!  I know what you mean!  I just had there Cranberry Orange Scone yesterday so I just made a batch now! I love there stupid baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fall is my favorite too and these scones look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking scones!  Perfect for fall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These really do look wonderful. I've bookmarked the recipe and suspect your scones will soon be found on my kitchen table :-). I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Starbucks and their pumpkin goodies are a weakness of mine too!  Your scones look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who wouldn't want those. They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love scones more than muffins or cupcakes and this is so lovely and I wish to have some.  The glaze dripping down from the side is amazing!  I usually pay for a piece.  I dream about the day when I make this and I eat this all day long... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have weakness for things pumpkin too! Those scones look wonderfully delish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous!!!! Especially with the glaze....mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fall is my favorite Season as well and these gorgeous scones just scream fall :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis