Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Best Combo Since PB & Chocolate

        My life has been nothing short of hectic lately. School's a killer, I tell you. I've been working on three major end-of-the-semester assignments, each due one after the other. They keep telling us students that we're supposed to have a maximum of one per week for the next few weeks, yet here I am somehow with three in one week. This kind of stress makes me want to scream into a pillow.
        Thankfully, I now have one of those three assignments out of the way… which means more time for a personal assignment. My own two-part assignment was as follows. Part 1: make cookies. Part 2: eat the cookies.
Malted Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
        Stop the presses. I have just made an amazingly mind-blowing discovery. Remember chocolate and peanut butter, arguably the best combo in the world of food? Well, I now firmly believe that malt + peanut butter gives said combo a run for its money. If you, like me, are a true worshipper of Choco/PB, then that sentence probably seems like total blasphemy. I understand, but you have to trust me on this. Malted Peanut Butter = Heaven.
        If you have no idea what malt tastes like in terms of sweets, think Maltesers candies. You may know them as Whoppers candies, and they are in fact chocolate malt candies. The malt is what gives them that distinctive flavor that stands apart from the chocolate.
        These cookies require no baking and are ready in almost no time at all, yet they're delicious enough to become an addiction from the first bite. I'm still a little hesitant to call them "cookies", however, as they are less like an oven-baked cookie and more like a sweeter and very tasty confection. With great texture, I might add. 
        Oh, geez, I just pictured myself making these cookies again. I also pictured myself polishing off a whole batch with no consequences whatsoever. The first part I can do. The second part is not so likely, but a girl can dream...



Malted Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
(adapted from Baked Explorations)
Print this Recipe
Yield: approximately 36 cookies


Ingredients
1/2 cup milk
2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup malt Ovaltine
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup natural* peanut butter, preferably chunky
A pinch of salt
3 1/3 cups rolled oats


Directions

  1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat,  stir together the milk, sugar, Ovaltine, and butter until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil and stop stirring; boil for 90 seconds.
  2. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the peanut butter, salt, and oats until combined.
  3. With a spoon or an ice cream scoop, drop the cookies onto the baking sheet, leaving enough space between them as they will spread slightly. Let the cookies cool, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. The no-bake cookies can be eaten straight from the refrigerator or at room-temperature. They can be stored between layers of parchment paper in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
*if you opt to use commercial peanut butter, you may need to reduce the sugar slightly.


Related Stories Widget by LinkWithin

21 comments:

  1. hey Nicole, I love Maltesers, and this malt and PB combo sounds delicious! Again, awesome photos, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! These look sooo good! Your photos almost made me drool, lovely recipe =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound (and look) amazing!! I love the taste of malt, but I've never had it with peanut butter before- I'll definitely have to give this flavour combination a try!! Good luck with your assignments- I love the feeling when you get all your assignments out of the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely recipe...they look fantastic!
    And good luck with your projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photographs look amazing! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhh nothing like no bake oatmeal cookies! I *love* malted anything this is so on my to-do-list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow that recipe is easy and I love to make this...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I did not miss this.  I bought Horlick's malt some time ago and I still have some left!  It is nice to find a no bake cookie that is something other than chocolate.  Your pictures here are very enticing, it would be hard to pass up these goodies!  I have saved the recipe, thanks for sharing this one and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love anything peanut butter, and used to get a peanut butter malt from a local malt shop.  I never thought of combining the two flavors into a cookie - this is pure genius!  These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, this looks like thick & chewy deliciousness! I've never seen malt & peanut butter together, but I could totally get behind that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen a malted version of these, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.December 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM

    I love peanut butter cookies and the idea of one you don't have to bake is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look just amazing!
    Love your blog! Nice finding you! Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your desccription of these cookies makes me believe you 120%! Sounds so heavenly. I'm not familiar with malt but it looks like you did an amazing discovery! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look very delicious and I love their texture. I am sure they are very addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just discovered your beautiful blog!  These cookies look like a good after-Christmas cookie... gotta love the no-bake, easy ideas.  Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is little else that satisfies me more than peanut butter! (Especially as a poor student!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, so this combination sounds AMAZING. I'm totally going to have to see how it compares to the infamous combination of chocolate and peanut butter! By the way, I just found your blog and I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Emily - I think these cookies would freeze well. While I've never tried freezing them myself as of yet, I do know that many no-bake cookie recipes can be frozen with great results, so I don't think you would run into any problems freezing this recipe. I hope this helped!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis